A couple of weeks ago I dropped in on the Cary Williams Show hosted by 105.7 The Fan. Williams’ special guest was rookie OLB Courtney Upshaw. Upshaw appeared to be a giant next to Williams but once he started talking I realized that he was more of a gentle giant. The Baltimore Ravens drafted Upshaw in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft with hopes that he would be mentored by veteran OLB Terrell Suggs. Who knew that Suggs would go down from an injury and the weight of the world, or at least Ravens Nation would fall upon Upshaw and the rest of the Ravens defense. The 2012 BCS National Championship Game Defensive MVP is looking to set himself apart and show us that he can ball just as hard. Upshaw did just that when he made a key fumble recovery in Game 5 against the Kansas City Chiefs. I caught up with Upshaw while he was traveling during the Ravens much needed bye week.
1. What are you listening to in your iPod? I’m Different by 2 Chainz
2. What is the latest gadget you’ve bought? A white iPad3
3. What is your favorite vacation spot? I really haven’t been on a vacation but I know when I do it’s going to be out of the country.
4. What are the best gifts you’ve received and given? Best gift received is my daughter Londyn. Best gift given would have to be spending time with a close friend before he died from cancer. It was a tough time but special to him.
5. What is your favorite restaurant in your team’s city? Ruth Chris downtown Baltimore
6. What are your proudest moments on and off the field? On the field just making plays and being the best player I can be. Off the field it’s most definitely being a father and doing things for children.
7. If you weren’t in the NFL, what would you be doing? I would go back to school to obtain my masters. I would really love to coach football, specifically high school.
You can follow Courtney Upshaw on twitter at @334Upshaw41