I had my umbrella, my handkerchief, and my drink ready to second line to the tune of the Saints’ first win. Then I put everything down, except my drink, because my New Orleans Saints snatched Defeat from the jaws of Victory. The Green Bay Packers improved to .500 and the Saints fell to 0-4 (ouch).
It’s getting difficult to stay positive without any W’s to show for it. But with this loss, I was truly encouraged. I saw some glimpses of the Old 2009 New Orleans Saints. But with our 0-fer record, I’m trying to laugh to keep from crying. My friends’ new chant is “We stinkin, we stinkin, I might as well be drinkin”. So as I sip on my hurricane and contemplate the game, I realize it is just a game.
But before we get into this week’s breakdown…It’s October, Breast Cancer Awareness month…that’s no game. Find free or low cost mammogram screenings in your area…. Now back to the DatNOLAgirl Top 10 reasons to stay encouraged Who Dat Nation:
10. With the NFL’s worst defense, there’s only room for improvement. They were marginally better in this loss winning the turnover battle and holding the Packers to a TD in the second half. But can we get some spins, stunts, delayed blitzes, bump receivers at line of scrimmage something to give the defense a different look? I’m just saying…
9. The 1992 San Diego Chargers mad the playoffs after a 0-4 start. Yeah, I know we will need a little help, ok a lot…remember we’re staying encouraged. (Ironic we play them to start our run).
8. I’m starting a bounty program for those who miss potentially game winning field goals. Yes, I know he kicked us into the Super Bowl…yes I saw the holding call. This is the second week though. Your only job is to kick the ball through the uprights…JUST DO IT.
7. Marques Colston went from not being able to catch a cold to Drew Brees’ favorite target. The remainder of the receiving core had some inopportune drops but with Drew Brees at the helm the offense performed well enough to rank 3rd in the league in passing.
6. We can trade one (even two) of the five RB for defensive help. We are carrying too many to have a play selection 54 pass to19 run. With Joe Vitt taking over the head coaching duties in two games, Kromer may be able to focus on his offensive line opening up some running lanes. Then, we’ll see if it’s the o-line or Pete Carmichael’s play calling. Gotta keep defenses honest.
5. Roger Goodell will get his in the end. Interesting Greg Williams is now allowed to attend games of the team that had hired him. Something smells and it’s not just the Saints pass rush. Remember he has to come to New Orleans for the Super Bowl…someone might slip some extra hot sauce in his gumbo.
4. Aside from the Atlanta Falcons, no one else is performing well in the NFC South (ugh, how it hurts to say that).
3. Drew Brees is “slinging that thing”. Not only did he tie Johnny Unitas’record of 47 consecutive games with a TD pass, he is the leagues’ best in passing yards. Things are starting to click…and we all know how dangerous that can be.
2. We love Sean Payton.
1. Who Dats love their Saints and the Saints love their Who Dats. We go together like sno-balls and condensed milk, crawfish and beer, beignets and café au lait, Mardi Gras and revelry. You get the picture.
Let’s GEAUX SAINTS! Who Dat!